Porziuncola, also called Portiuncula (in Latin) or Porzioncula, is a small church in the frazione of Santa Maria degli Angeli, situated about 4 kilometers from Assisi, Umbria (central Italy). It is the place from where the Franciscan movement started.
The name Porziuncola (meaning “small portion of land”) was first mentioned in a document from 1045, now in the archives of the Cathedral.
This little church was given around 1208 to St. Francis by the Abbot of St. Benedict of Monte Subasio, on condition of making it the mother house of his religious family. It was in bad condition, laying abandoned in a wood of oak trees. He restored it with his own hands. READ MORE
“Qui ebbe inizio l’Ordine dei Minori e qui su solido fondamento si sviluppò bella e numerosa la sua fraternità. Francesco amò il luogo della Porziuncola
più d’ogni altro e raccomandò ai frati di amarlo di speciale predilezione.”