Church of Santa Maria Maggiore
The church of Santa Maria Maggiore was the cathedral of Assisi before 1036, when the church of San Rufino took over the position, but what we see today dates back to the 12th century.
The nave, semi-circular apse and sacristy still have remains of frescoes from the 14th and 15th century. A Medieval sarcophagus lies to the right of the entrance. From a passageway leading from the crypt the House of Propertius can be accessed. The house features Pompeian style wall paintings.